Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
Soft and satisfyingly flavorful. You can adjust the level of spiciness to taste.
Make and share this Potato Curry recipe from Food.com.
- 6 medium russet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne (or ground black peppercorn)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2⁄3 cup frozen peas
- Peel and dice potatoes.
- Heat oil and add spices.
- Simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add potatoes.
- Immediately stir around until evenly coated.
- Continue for 5-10 minutes until some cubes are a little crisped.
- Add the water and lower the heat.
- Simmer for 1/2 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add peas and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Indeed, this cooked into a thick and spicy delight. I increased the spices (ex. cayenne!) by about half, and just sprinkled a little salt on at the end. BTW, we got six servings, great with Delicious Scrambled Tofu. Made for PAC.
I'm a novice when it comes to Indian cooking and this is the first Indian recipe that I've made that has turned out good. The potatoes have a nice flavor and this dish is similar tasting to what is served at my favorite Indian restaurant. I used 1/2 tsp cumin seeds and also added a chopped onion half way through the frying time. Thanks SeeBee for posting this recipe. I will make it again.
Excellent! Almost exactly like I get at a local Indian restaurant. Like another reviewer, I also added extra cayenne pepper, but I really love extra heat.