Loosely based on a favorite menu item I order at a local restaurant. Sourdough bread or focaccia can be substituted for the hamburger buns if you wish. The portabellas can also be grilled if you want. Update 01-25-08 Try this for marinating the mushrooms:Pomegranate Teriyaki Sauce
- 2 large portabella mushrooms, caps removed
- 4 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- olive oil, for frying
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 whole wheat hamburger buns, warmed
- 3 -4 tablespoons hummus, for spreading (homemade is best)
- 2 slices tomatoes
- 4 slices onions (red or yellow)
- loose leaf lettuce or alfalfa sprouts or fresh baby spinach leaves
- Marinate the mushrooms in the teriyaki sauce.
- For best results, marinate at least 3 hours.
- Sautè the mushrooms on medium heat until softened but still slightly firm.
- Season with black pepper to taste.
- Transfer mushrooms to warmed buns and top with remaining ingredients.
- I usually serve the burgers with a tossed Romaine lettuce salad and fresh fruit in season.
I thought these were YUMMY!! I didn't have any teriyaki marinade, so I used Seseme ginger marinade. I also didn't have 3 hours so it was more like 30 minutes, then sauted in the marinade on medium heat. Dressed w/fresh tomatoes, feta and spinach leaves instead of lettuce. These were great and quick!!
WOW! We were all impressed by how tasty and filling these sandwiches were! The mushrooms marinated in the teriyaki sauce for 3-hours. I topped my mushroom with red pepper hummus, fresh mozzarella cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion on a potato roll. The flavor combo was to die for and the mushroom oozed with the teriyaki goodness. We served them with Ww Cheese Fries for a perfect meal. Made for Veg 'N Swap tag.
What a meal! Just heavenly. My friend brought over some homemake hummus....I had just purchased some portabello mushrooms....found your recipe....and the rest is mouthwatering joy! The only thing I did different was to add a slice of munster cheese to the mix. Used sourdough bread....and the sandwiches were so big that there was no room to eat anything else! It was a great meal with ice tea to wash it down. And....I didn't even marinate for 3 hrs, only about an hour with a bottled teriyaki sauce ( I know, I know, homemade is better).