Loosely based on a favorite menu item I order at a local restaurant. Sourdough bread or focaccia can be substituted for the hamburger buns if you wish. The portabellas can also be grilled if you want. Update 01-25-08 Try this for marinating the mushrooms:Pomegranate Teriyaki Sauce
- 2 large portabella mushrooms, caps removed
- 4 tablespoons teriyaki sauce
- olive oil, for frying
- black pepper, to taste
- 2 whole wheat hamburger buns, warmed
- 3 -4 tablespoons hummus, for spreading (homemade is best)
- 2 slices tomatoes
- 4 slices onions (red or yellow)
- loose leaf lettuce or alfalfa sprouts or fresh baby spinach leaves
- Marinate the mushrooms in the teriyaki sauce.
- For best results, marinate at least 3 hours.
- Sautè the mushrooms on medium heat until softened but still slightly firm.
- Season with black pepper to taste.
- Transfer mushrooms to warmed buns and top with remaining ingredients.
- I usually serve the burgers with a tossed Romaine lettuce salad and fresh fruit in season.