1/1 Photo of Pondering Parsnips (Those Really Ugly Carrots)
From www.vegparadise.com. This parsnip recipe is intended for introducing parsnips to those folks that have never tried them (or have been afraid to try them.) A very simple, no- fuss recipe that showcases the wonderful flavor of parsnips. As the site states: "When you begin with a vegetable rich in flavor like the parsnip, it's best to keep the preparation simple and allow its flavors to be fully appreciated". Use the best quality parsnips you can find, firm not limp but importantly parsnips that are small, as in the size of a small/medium sized carrot. (Too big and they're tough.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut parsnips into 1/2" chunks and place into a 2-quart saucepan with 1/2" of water.
- 2Cover pan, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- 3Reduce heat to low and steam approximately 8 to 12 minutes or until fork tender but not mushy.
- 4Using a slotted spoon, transfer the parsnips to a food processor or blender, reserving cooking water.
- 5Add olive oil and process until pureed, adding some of the cooking water if needed to make a smooth puree. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer the pureed parsnips to a serving bowl.
- 6Sprinkle very lightly with nutmeg and garnish with a tablepoon of fresh parsley.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pondering Parsnips (Those Really Ugly Carrots)
Serving Size: 1 (154 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 133.9
- Calories from Fat 24
- Total Fat 2.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 15.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.4 g
- Sugars 7.2 g
- Protein 1.8 g