Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is an excellent recipe from Joan Nathan's classic cookbook, "Jewish Cooking in America".
- 6 carrots, peeled and sliced in 1/4-inch rounds
- 3 tart apples, like Granny Smith, peeled, cored and sliced into thick wedges
- 3⁄4 cup onion, peeled, sliced, then sauteed until golden
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar or 1⁄4 cup honey, to taste
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons potato starch
- 1 -2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 2 1/2 quart casserole.
- Place the carrots in a saucepan, add about 1/2 cup water and cook, about 5 to 8 minutes, until tender. Add apples for last 5 minutes of cooking time. Drain and turn the carrots, apples and onions into the casserole. Add the raisins, sugar or honey, salt and pepper.
- Mix the orange juice and potato starch in a small bowl until smooth. Pour over the carrot-apple mixture. Sprinkle with the oil and bake for 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.