This is an excellent recipe from Joan Nathan's classic cookbook, "Jewish Cooking in America".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 carrots, peeled and sliced in 1/4-inch rounds
- 3 tart apples, like Granny Smith, peeled, cored and sliced into thick wedges
- 3/4 cup onion, peeled, sliced, then sauteed until golden
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup brown sugar or 1/4 cup honey, to taste
- salt, to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons potato starch
- 1 -2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 2 1/2 quart casserole.
- 2Place the carrots in a saucepan, add about 1/2 cup water and cook, about 5 to 8 minutes, until tender. Add apples for last 5 minutes of cooking time. Drain and turn the carrots, apples and onions into the casserole. Add the raisins, sugar or honey, salt and pepper.
- 3Mix the orange juice and potato starch in a small bowl until smooth. Pour over the carrot-apple mixture. Sprinkle with the oil and bake for 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Polish Apple & Carrot Tzimmes (Passover)
Serving Size: 1 (180 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 143.0
- Calories from Fat 18
- Total Fat 2.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 37.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 22.7 g
- Protein 1.3 g