Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 24 hrs
Cook 40 mins
My most favourite snack, always, hmm, when I'm not watching my weight is dosa:) It has to be served piping hot to me with a hot bowl of sambar and chutney on the side. I'd love to marry a man who loves dosas as much as I do;)
- Wash and soak the parboiled rice in water for 6-8 hours.
- Wash and soak the urad dal and fenugreek seeds in water in another bowl for 6-8 hours.
- Make a smooth batter of rice in a blender.
- Make a smooth batter of urad dal in a blender.
- In a large bowl, combine the rice batter with the urad dal batter.
- Add salt to taste.
- Mix well.
- Keep the batter to ferment overnight for minimum 12 hours.
- Now, the next morning (or after 12 hours), to start preparing the dosa (crepe), heat a non-stick frying pan and lightly brush with oil.
- Sprinkle a few drops of water on the frying pan.
- If the water sizzles, it means the pan is ready to start preparing the dosa.
- Pour a ladleful of batter in the center of the pan.
- Spread batter quickly by swirling batter in a continuous spiral movement with the back of the ladle.
- Pour a tsp.
- of oil all around the edges.
- Cook on medium flame until golden in colour.
- Turn the dosa, carefully lifting the edges.
- Cook the other side for 1 minute.
- Remove from flame.
- Repeat the same method with the remaining batter.
- Serve hot with chutney.
- Tip: Keep sprinkling water in between making dosas to ensure that the pan does not get overheated.
- If the dosas tend to stick to the pan, rub the pan with a sliced onion dipped in oil.
- Always keep a separate frying pan for making dosas.
These were very good Charishma. I have never had a dosa before, and am just learning how to cook Indian food. The waiting was the hardest part.(fermentation time) My DH took them to work in his lunch, and the Indian fellow that he works with said that it tasted just like his wife makes. Now that is a compliment believe me. He had these with channa dal, Rav's recipe, because he loves it so much and also some with mango chutney. You are really helping me with my Indian technique, thank you so much.