Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My most favourite snack, always, hmm, when I'm not watching my weight is dosa:) It has to be served piping hot to me with a hot bowl of sambar and chutney on the side. I'd love to marry a man who loves dosas as much as I do;)
- Wash and soak the parboiled rice in water for 6-8 hours.
- Wash and soak the urad dal and fenugreek seeds in water in another bowl for 6-8 hours.
- Make a smooth batter of rice in a blender.
- Make a smooth batter of urad dal in a blender.
- In a large bowl, combine the rice batter with the urad dal batter.
- Add salt to taste.
- Mix well.
- Keep the batter to ferment overnight for minimum 12 hours.
- Now, the next morning (or after 12 hours), to start preparing the dosa (crepe), heat a non-stick frying pan and lightly brush with oil.
- Sprinkle a few drops of water on the frying pan.
- If the water sizzles, it means the pan is ready to start preparing the dosa.
- Pour a ladleful of batter in the center of the pan.
- Spread batter quickly by swirling batter in a continuous spiral movement with the back of the ladle.
- Pour a tsp.
- of oil all around the edges.
- Cook on medium flame until golden in colour.
- Turn the dosa, carefully lifting the edges.
- Cook the other side for 1 minute.
- Remove from flame.
- Repeat the same method with the remaining batter.
- Serve hot with chutney.
- Tip: Keep sprinkling water in between making dosas to ensure that the pan does not get overheated.
- If the dosas tend to stick to the pan, rub the pan with a sliced onion dipped in oil.
- Always keep a separate frying pan for making dosas.