Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
A pickled asparagus with more sugar than most and a bit of kick. From my local newspaper.
Make and share this Pickled Asparagus recipe from Food.com.
- 3 lbs asparagus, ends trimmed
- 3 tablespoons pickling salt
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons dill, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dill seed
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 1⁄2 cups white vinegar
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- Cut asparagus into lengths 1 inch shorter than your 1 quart jars.
- Blanch asparagus in boiling water and 1 Tbsp of the salt for 2 minutes.
- Remove from boiling water and plunge immediately into ice water for a minute, then drain.
- Pack asparagus tightly into hot, sterilized 1 quart jars, tips facing down.
- Bring remaining ingredients to a boil.
- Pour brine over asparagus to within 1/2 inch of the top of the jar.
- Seal jars.
- Process in a hot water bath for 20 minutes.