Prep 0 mins
Cook 12 hrs
YO....from from The Original Philadelphia Neighborhood Cookbook by Irina Smith and Ann Hazan. Ok so I feel homesick today..
- 3 -4 unwaxed cucumbers, sliced
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 -4 slices fresh ginger, slivered
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- toasted sesame seeds, garnish
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot chili flakes (optional)
- If the cukes are waxed? You gotta peel them.
- Go for unwaxed.
- Combine the salt and cucumbers and allow to sit for 1 hour. Rinse thoroughly under cold.
- water and pat dry. Place in a bowl.
- In a small saucepan, heat together the ginger, vinegar, sugar, water and oil. Bring to a boil, then pour over cucumbers.
- Marinate at least overnight.
- To serve, garnish with toasted sesame seeds.
- Variation Add 1/2-1 teaspoon of hot chili flakes to the marinade. Note? That is HOT chili flakes. You have been warned.
A great unique take on the standard cucumber salad. I didnt have onions, so I used green onions and a red pepper sliced. I also added a table spoon of mayo to give it a creaminess.