1/2 Photos of Perfect Steamed Rice Every Time
People always ask why my rice comes out perfectly, even though I don't use a rice cooker. Siu Siu Korzilius, my Chinese cooking teacher, taught me that the secret to flaky rice is in the washing. Rice must always be washed before it's cooked to remove the excess starch which keeps it from being sticky. For brown rice, follow these same instructions but add more water (to several inches over the rice) and cook three times as long.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1WASH THE RICE: Rinse under running water, rubbing the grains together between the palms of your hands; continue this rinsing until the water runs fairly clear. THIS WILL TAKE A COUPLE MINUTES; DON'T RUSH THIS MOST IMPORTANT STEP!
- 2Place rice in a covered sauce pan; add water to 1/2-inch above the rice; put on high heat. Stay in the area -- don't fall asleep -- PAY ATTENTION!
- 3As soon as it boils rapidly, reduce heat to medium/low and keep simmering for 10 minutes. DO NOT PEEK. DO NOT OPEN THE LID.
- 4Remove pot from burner but STILL DO NOT OPEN THE LID; let the rice rest undisturbed for five minutes.
- 5Fluff the rice with a pair of chopsticks before serving.
Browse Our Top Long-Grain Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Long-Grain Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Perfect Steamed Rice Every Time
Serving Size: 1 (92 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 337.6
- Calories from Fat 5
- Total Fat 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 4.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 0.1 g
- Protein 6.6 g