Prep 2 mins
Cook 25 mins
A different way to make Perfect Rice in the microwave. I didn't believe that it would cook till tender without being covered, boy was I wrong. From cookbook author Kathleen Daelemans.
- Place all ingredients except salt in a large microwave safe bowl.
- Rice doubles in size during cooking so choose a container large enough to accommodate final product.
- Microwave uncovered on high for 10 minutes.
- Then microwave uncovered on medium-low for 15 minutes.
- Do not stir rice at anytime during cooking process.
- Season with salt and fluff with a fork before serving.
I've struggeling to find a way to fix steamed rice other than the stove top or rice cooker since I've been here in Beijing. I stared at this one for the longest time trying to decide if I should try it. First done in the microwave (NEVER would have thought that) and then UNCOVERED!!! Oh man am I glad I decided to give it a try. The only thing I did differant was cut the amount in half, and then followed exact including the timing and it was perfect. Nice and fluffy and perfect. Thanks so much for posting and I can truthfully say this is my new way to make rice from now on.
I halved the recipe and it came out great. I just reduced the time a bit--8 minutes + 10 minutes. It came out nice and fluffy, which was a victory for me, the queen of sticky rice! ;-) Thanks for sharing.
Perfect, perfect, perfect! And I didn't have any long grain rice but it still turned out perfect. Everything I've tried that you have posted has been simply great! I cooked way too much rice, but I have found sumptious ways to use it. (I too, next time, will cook less, but it was so much fun!) Someone told me years ago that rice would not work in the microwave. Ha! I've been cooking rice forever and ever atop the stove & it's never turned out better than this did. Does it work for brown rice too, do you know?