Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
Apple butter is more popular, but I like the pear butter better, you could use apples in this recipe instead of pears if you like.
- 10 large ripe pears, quartered and cored (5 pounds)
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Combine pears and water in a large dutch oven. Cover and cook over medium-low heat 40 minutes or until pears are soft, stirring occasionally. Drain.
- Press pears through a sieve or food mill.
- Measure 1 quart of the pear puree and combine with remaining ingredients in a Dutch oven.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, 15 minutes or until mixture thickens. Remove from heat; skim off foam.
- Quickly pour hot pear mixture into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace; wipe jar rims. Cover at once with lid, and metal screw on bands.
- Process in boiling water bath 10 minutes.
Delicious Pear Butter! I made this last night, but it was too sweet so I had to add extra pears & more orange and nutmeg. By the time I had finished, this tasted like Orange Marmalade! It was wonderful!