This quick brekky is easily adaptable, using different types of juice and chopped fruit (I just love experimenting with oatmeal!!). I think the banana is important though. Enjoy!
- 1⁄2 cup quick oats
- 2⁄3 cup peach juice (from canned peaches) or 2⁄3 cup your choice fruit juice (try a combination of peach&pineapple, peach&apple cider, etc.)
- 1⁄2 small banana, well-ripened
- 1 teaspoon honey (optional) or 1 teaspoon agave nectar (optional)
- 1⁄2 peach, finely chopped (I use a canned one, or try chopped mango, etc.)
- Heat the juice to a simmer in a small saucepan. Stir in the oats, and let it cook for 2-4 minutes to thicken up. Add a little water if needed.
- Meanwhile, mash the banana in a bowl till very smooth.
- When the oats are ready, remove from heat and add the banana, chopped fruit and sweetener (or leave that to drizzle on at the end). Stir together and let the saucepan sit covered for 2-3 minutes to let the fruitiness blend. Then dig in!
What a great combo, this is really tasty. For me this was sweet enough so I didn't add any sweetener but I did sprinkle with some cinnamon to serve. Thanks WRC, this will be going on regular brekky rotation!
Nice and tasty oatmeal! I used half peach juice, half water, otherwise made as specified. I used a fresh peach and the combination of that flavor with the banana and honey was just great. This made a yummy and filling breakfast - thanks for sharing this recipe!
I made this for breakfast this morning. I followed the recipe as written but I did not add the optional honey as I thought it was a bit too sweet. I used lite canned peaches and made mine in the microwave. Next time I would not add the peaches as I think the peach juice gives it enough peach taste.