Missy Wombat's Note:
Something different to do with those pawpaws when you are sick of making chutney... Would make a lovely gift.
My Private Note
- 1Peel and halve the pawpaws.
- 2Scoop out the seeds.
- 3Cut the flesh into large cubes.
- 4There should be 575 g fruit.
- 5Put the pistachios into a bowl and pour over boiling water to cover.
- 6Leave for 1 minute, then drain and transfer to a bowl of cold water.
- 7Drain again, then rub off the skins with your fingers.
- 8Pack the pawpaws and pistachios into sterilized jars, layering them with the sugar as you go.
- 9Leave about 2.5 cm at the tops of the jars.
- 11Pour in the rum to cover the fruit and nuts by 1.25 cm, making sure there are no air pockets.
- 13Seal he jars, label, and seal well.
- 14Keep in a cool dark place for at least 2-3 months before using, to allow the flavours to develop.
- 15Shake from time to time during the first week of storage to make sure that all the sugar dissolves.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pawpaws in Rum
Serving Size: 1 (2873 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1008.2
- Calories from Fat 105
- Total Fat 11.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 15.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 139.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.7 g
- Sugars 116.2 g
- Protein 7.9 g