Another family favorite recipe that has been scratched on a piece of paper without knowing where it came from. It's a delicious soup and though we've tried many black bean soups on Zaar and elsewhere and really liked them, this one is our favorite.
- 1 1⁄2 cups broth, I usually use a vegan chicken broth (Can be vegetable, chicken, or beef)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 (15 ounce) cans black beans
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 -2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cilantro (dried or fresh)
- 0.5 (15 ounce) can corn
- salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- green onion, diced (optional)
- Mash one of the cans of beans with the juice with a potato masher. Drain and rinse the other two cans of beans and set these whole beans aside.
- Add salsa, garlic powder, chili powder, salt, and cumin to the one can of beans that were mashed, then set aside.
- In a pot bring the broth, water, and onion to a boil.
- Simmer until the onions are clear. Then add the corn and all of the beans to the pot (both the mashed and the ones not mashed).
- Stir well and then simmer at a low heat for about a half hour.
- Can serve topped with sour cream and diced green onions.