For non-alcoholic version, sub apple cider, unsweetened apple juice or unsweetened cranberry juice for the wine. Red Delicious apples were suggested in original recipe however most any apple will work (Red Delicious happens to be my least favorite apple). Local recipe using locally vintered red wine; locally grown apples and Oregon grown cranberries!
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup red wine (or substitution-read intro)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar (negotiable-I usually use at least half this amount and sometimes replace sugar with local honey)
- 1 (12 ounce) package frozen cranberries (or equivalent amount of fresh cranberries)
- 3 medium cooking apples, peeled, cored, sliced (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 whole cinnamon stick
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add the water, wine and sugar, stirring to dissolve.
- Add the cranberries, apples and lemon juice.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat and gently boil, uncovered, stirring occasionally until the cranberries pop and apples softened, approximately 15 minutes.
- Transfer sauce to a food processor and puree. (Or use a hand held immersion blender.).
- Add the cinnamon stick.
- Let stand several hours before serving.
- Note: Sauce will thicken as it stands.