1/4 Photos of Orange Peel Spoon Sweet - Glyko Portokalaki
1 hr 15 mins
In Greece this candied orange peel is usually served as sweet. If you have nice oranges with thick peel (if possible from the garden and not treated) you should try this instead of dicarding the peel! Enjoy this as a snack, dessert, in cakes or dessert topping. I love this at most as marmelade over bread! Note: you can prepare this sweet with other citrus as grapefruits as bergamot. Or you can mix its!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash und rub well the oranges.
- 2Slice the orange peel in half, then quarters, then eighths - top to bottom. Remove peel in strips (eat the oranges!).
- 3Cut strips in half, across the width.
- 4Orange peel, with or without the external part, is bitter. This process removes most of that bitterness without bleaching out the flavor, and softens the peel. Place peel in a saucepan with enough cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes, timing from when it starts to bubble.
- 5Drain in a strainer or colander and rinse under running cold water.
- 6Repeat step 4 boiling for 3 minutes. Repeat step 5. Total boiling time: 11 minutes.
- 7Place sugar and water in a saucepan and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- 8Bring to a boil over high heat and cook for 5 minutes.
- 9Add orange peel, return to a boil, and cook for about 10 minutes just until the syrup begins to thicken slightly (it should be quite syrupy - but thick enough to coat a metal spoon).
- 10Stir in lemon juice and remove pan from heat.
- 11Allow to cool completely before storing in sterilized jars.
- 12Note. I like to rolls peel strips before cooking them (fixing with a stick) or simply rolling them before placing in the jar.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orange Peel Spoon Sweet - Glyko Portokalaki
Serving Size: 1 (1405 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2245.6
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 12.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 577.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.7 g
- Sugars 560.5 g
- Protein 6.2 g