Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Has more of a tropical flavor than southwestern. Would go great with Mexican dishes from the Yucatan or even the Caribbean. Pairs well with chips.
- In an ungreased iron skillet, roast half of the tomatillos in their husks for about 10 minutes, turning often; remove from pan and cool.
- When cool, place them in a blender, and set aside.
- Meanwhile remove husks from remaining tomatillos and rinse them and dice fine, and place them in a bowl.
- Roast the habaneros over low heat, turning often, about 5-7 minutes, or until they begin to char; remove from pan.
- Stem and deseed habaneros (wear gloves if you prefer), and add to blender; puree.
- Squeeze one of the oranges over a sieve placed over the bowl with the tomatillos (to catch any stray seeds).
- Add the pepper/tomatillo puree and mix well.
- Peel the remaining orange; remove pith; dessed (if necessary); dice fine, and add to the bowl along with the chopped green onions.
- Season to taste with salt and lime juice and allow to stand for 30 minutes to 1 hour before serving to develop flavor.