1/4 Photos of Onion Lentils and Rice
This recipe is adapted from "What to Cook" cookbook. Other than slicing the onions, it doesn't take a lot of prep time. This is what I make when I come home from work hungry and exhausted and want something yummy and filling for dinner.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat olive oil in skillet, saute the onions with 1 tsp cumin until lightly browned (can add some garlic too, if desired).
- 2Remove 1/3 of the onions and set aside.
- 3Continue cooking the rest of the onions until dark brown and black in places.
- 4In the meantime, bring water to a boil in a saucepan, add the lentils, reduce heat, and cover, simmering for 15 minutes.
- 5To the lentils, add the 1/3 lightly browned onions, rice, salt, and remaining 1 tsp cumin.
- 6Cover and simmer 15 minutes or until rice is tender.
- 7Remove from heat and stir in the well-browned onions.
- 8Cover and let stand for 5-10 minutes.
- 10Especially good with chopped lettuce, tomatoes, and a dollop of yogurt or sour cream on top.
- 11Also good with cooked spinach.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Onion Lentils and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (400 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 479.1
- Calories from Fat 130
- Total Fat 14.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 792.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 75.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 11.7 g