Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This goes wonderfully with grilled meats, and even with cooked pastas. You can make it as sweet as you like depending on the sweetness of the onions, taste as you go along!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 kg onion, halved and sliced thin
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 -3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2⁄3 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Heat oil in a large saute pan or stew pan.
- Add onions.
- Saute over medium heat, stirring often, 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, 5 minutes or until onions are golden brown; reduce heat if they are browning too fast.
- Add 2 Tablespoons sugar to onions, stir and cook 1 minute to dissolve sugar.
- Add vinegar and bring to a boil, stirring.
- Add wine and bring to a boil.
- Add water.
- Cook uncovered over medium heat, stirring often, about 5 minutes or until most of liquid evaporates and onions are very tender.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- If you like, add remaining sugar and cook another minute, stirring.
- Serve hot or cold.
A very good condiment for many meals/dishes. I made this and served it with roasted chicken and another evening as a topping for hamburgers. The only things I did different was that I used one tablespoon of sugar and I cooked the onions for about 35 minutes, for the only reason that I like the onions soft and it eliminates noisy and smelly "side effects" !!!