This goes wonderfully with grilled meats, and even with cooked pastas. You can make it as sweet as you like depending on the sweetness of the onions, taste as you go along!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat oil in a large saute pan or stew pan.
- 2Add onions.
- 3Saute over medium heat, stirring often, 5 minutes.
- 4Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 5Cover and cook over medium-low heat, stirring often, 5 minutes or until onions are golden brown; reduce heat if they are browning too fast.
- 6Add 2 Tablespoons sugar to onions, stir and cook 1 minute to dissolve sugar.
- 7Add vinegar and bring to a boil, stirring.
- 8Add wine and bring to a boil.
- 9Add water.
- 10Cook uncovered over medium heat, stirring often, about 5 minutes or until most of liquid evaporates and onions are very tender.
- 11Taste and adjust seasoning.
- 12If you like, add remaining sugar and cook another minute, stirring.
- 13Serve hot or cold.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Onion Compote with Wine
Serving Size: 1 (131 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 88.6
- Calories from Fat 25
- Total Fat 2.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 5.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 1.1 g