Oatmeal is a great addition to a smoothie — it’s a thickener with lots of fiber and nutrients. With the pinch of turmeric in this recipe comes curcumin, a compound that has been used for centuries in Ayurvedic and Chinese medicine for its anti-inflammatory properties. By Martha Shulman & posted on the NY Times Website.
- 1⁄4 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup milk or 1⁄2 cup almond milk or 1⁄2 cup rice milk or 1⁄2 cup soymilk
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 apple, cored and diced
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, to taste
- 1 pinch turmeric
- lemon juice, couple drops
- 1 dates, pitted (optional)
- Combine the oats and water in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for two minutes or bring to boil on stove in saucepan.
- Combine the hot oats and the remaining ingredients, along with a few ice cubes, in a blender, and blend at high speed. Serve at once.