A great recipe from green living
Make and share this North African Chickpeas recipe from Food.com.
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons red wine or 2 tablespoons cooking sherry
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 cup water or 1 cup chickpeas, cooking liquid
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (reduce if chickpea cooking liquid is salted)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces (1 1/2 pounds)
- 1⁄4 cup diced dried apricot
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
- In a medium saucepan, combine the onion, garlic, ginger, and wine or sherry. Cover and sweat over low heat for 5 minutes. Add the cumin, cinnamon, paprika, and red pepper flakes and cook, uncovered, 1 minute longer. Add the water or chickpea cooking liquid, salt, sweet potatoes, and apricots. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer until the sweet potatoes are just tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas, raisins, and lemon juice. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, until the chickpeas are hot. Add the sliced almonds.