After being a zaar lurker for years, I finally am posting so I can find this recipe again. My husband gets up early for work and likes steel cut oats, but I don't want to be slaving over the stove or have a nasty crock pot mess. So I found this method on a blog (I don't know where exactly), and tried it last night. It worked perfectly! The oatmeal brulee came off a different blog and I haven't tried it but it sounds absolutely yummy!
- Mix steel cut oats, 4 cups water, and salt, if using, in a bowl large enough to hold it.
- Put some water in your crock pot and carefully lower the bowl with the oats into the water bath. You don't want the water in the crock pot to overflow into your oats, but I tried to follow the blogger's suggestion of matching the water level outside to that of the water/oats inside. Your bowl may get a hard water line on the outside that will come off in the dishwasher.
- Cook on low overnight. In the morning you will have creamy oatmeal and can add your favorite fixins to it (milk, fruit, cinnamon, sugar, pumpkin, etc).
- For Oatmeal Brulee: Fill a ramekin approximately half way with oatmeal (mixed with milk, cinnamon, vanilla, and sugar--to your desired sweetness).
- Add blueberries and raspberries (or any other berry, apple, whatever).
- Cover with another layer of sweetened oatmeal to smooth out top.
- Sprinkle with mixture of 1 Tbsp white sugar and 1 tsp brown sugar.
- Broil 1-3 minutes, or until sugar forms caramelized crust.
- This sounds like a dessert to me, and was from a Disneyland resort's breakfast menu, but if it has oatmeal, that makes it breakfast, right?