Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A great veggie BBQ sandwich. My family loved it, and they hate tofu (I didn't tell them what was in it). Prep time does NOT include up to 5 days of marinating the tofu.
- Drain the tofu and cut it in half horizontally to make two pieces.
- Wrap the tofu in a clean towel, press it between two baking sheets with a weight on top, and refrigerate for an hour or more.
- Unwrap the tofu and place it in a shallow baking dish.
- Spoon 1/2 cup of the barbecue sauce over the tofu, cover the baking dish, and let the tofu marinate in the refrigerator for at least several hours.
- The longer the tofu marinates (up to five days), the more flavorful it will be.
- Place the marinated tofu on a lightly oiled baking sheet, and bake at 400 degrees for 1 hour.
- Slice the sandwich rolls open, cut the tofu into thin slices, and divide it among the rolls.
- Mix the sautèed onions, bell peppers, or your favorite fixings with the remaining barbecue sauce, and spoon over the sandwiches.
My waistline and arteries thank you. This recipe is a great to feed the BBQ sandwich craving without the guilt. I let it marinate for 3 days and topped my sandwich with sauteed onions and bell pepper, served with roasted potato wedges and jalapeno coleslaw. Thanks for posting the recipe.
What a great sandwich! The tofu is nice and firm, and the BBQ sauce adds a nice flavor. Had mine with lots of onions and lots of sauce. Yum! I cut the tofu into about 6 slices to marinate and then bake, only because I wanted more surface area to soak up all the sauce flavors. Thanks for the wonderful lunch, Mirj!