Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A great veggie BBQ sandwich. My family loved it, and they hate tofu (I didn't tell them what was in it). Prep time does NOT include up to 5 days of marinating the tofu.
- Drain the tofu and cut it in half horizontally to make two pieces.
- Wrap the tofu in a clean towel, press it between two baking sheets with a weight on top, and refrigerate for an hour or more.
- Unwrap the tofu and place it in a shallow baking dish.
- Spoon 1/2 cup of the barbecue sauce over the tofu, cover the baking dish, and let the tofu marinate in the refrigerator for at least several hours.
- The longer the tofu marinates (up to five days), the more flavorful it will be.
- Place the marinated tofu on a lightly oiled baking sheet, and bake at 400 degrees for 1 hour.
- Slice the sandwich rolls open, cut the tofu into thin slices, and divide it among the rolls.
- Mix the sautèed onions, bell peppers, or your favorite fixings with the remaining barbecue sauce, and spoon over the sandwiches.