Prep 2 mins
Cook 10 mins
I really wanted a fast eggplant dish. I was actually looking for a recipe similar to an eggplant stew, from a restaurant I frequent but came up with this one instead. It is the best eggplant dish I've had, but I'll still keep searching for something like that stewed dish. This one burns very easily so keep an eye on it. I don't recommend going over the times listed, so you may want to set a timer. If you don't go over (especially on the miso broiling step) it should be really tasty. It's not bad even if it is a little burned.
- Mix sake or wine with sugar and boil for a few minutes.
- Add miso to wine and cook just until miso is mixed in.
- Lightly brush or rub cut side of eggplants with sesame oil.
- Place eggplants cut side down under a broiler on high for 3 minutes.
- Turn eggplant over and broil another 3 minutes.
- Spread sesame mixture thinly over cut side of eggplant and return to broiler for about 1 minute.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle eggplants with sesame seeds and green onion.
- *Note if you have extra miso mixture it's great to add to a stirfry.
This was very delicious, and even though the miso mixture got burned a tiny bit on top of the nasu, it made it look really pretty and it tasted so good. You can make this with regular American eggplant too, just cut it into lengthwise slices. Oishikatta desu! Arigatou gozaimashita!