Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Felt like checking out some international recipes and Africa in particular. The times are guesses.
Make and share this Namibian Black-Eyed Peas recipe from Food.com.
- Soak fresh peas (used canned peas if you cannot find fresh) in cold water for about five minutes to soften.
- Using both hands, rub and gently squeeze the peas as they continue to soak.
- This process will gradually loosen the skins, which will float to the top.
- Skim and discard the skins.
- Drain and rinse the peas, add salt and hot pepper and cover with clean water.
- Boil until tender.
- Serve, along with the cooking water over oshifima or another stiff porridge.
- If you like, you can cook greens, such as spinach and perhaps serve some sliced bananas with peanuts to have a complete meal.
Nice recipe! I used the 1/2tsp cayenne pepper and used frozen blacked eyed peas and added salt and let the peas simmer over low for a hour or so and kept checking the water level. For our personal taste I also added a slice of bacon for flavor and let it simmer in the pot with peas etc. til done. We liked the hint of the cayenne pepper. Thanks for sharing your recipe.