White Rose Child's Note:
These are a traditional German treat for Christmastime. As for this variation on the goodie, I don't know how authentic it is, but vegan and fat free - really, who wants to second-guess that?! I found it on FatFree.com.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup honey
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- slivered almonds, for decoration (optional)
- 1Mix honey, sugar, eggbeater, lemon juice and rind. Blend dry ingredients separately.
- 2Stir the wet into the dry. Chill overnight.
- 3When ready to cook, heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- 4Roll out a small amount of dough at a time to a 1/4 " thick log. Cut into 2" rounds.
- 5Place each cookie round on a nonstick cookie sheet, and place a slivered almond in the center if desired.
- 6Bake about 12 minutes, or until set.
- 7Immediately brush with glazing icing, if desired:
- 8boil sugar and water until the first indication of a 'thread' appears as it thickens (around 230 degrees).
- 9Remove from heat and stir in the powdered sugar. Bush this lightly over the cookies (when the icing gets sugary, reheat slightly, adding a little water until clear again).
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Nürnberger Lebkuchen - Vegan and Fat Free!
Serving Size: 1 (32 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 40
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 74.3
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 33.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 11.0 g
- Protein 0.9 g