Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
These are a traditional German treat for Christmastime. As for this variation on the goodie, I don't know how authentic it is, but vegan and fat free - really, who wants to second-guess that?! I found it on FatFree.com.
- 1 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- slivered almonds, for decoration (optional)
- 1 cup sugar (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup water (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar (optional)
- Mix honey, sugar, eggbeater, lemon juice and rind. Blend dry ingredients separately.
- Stir the wet into the dry. Chill overnight.
- When ready to cook, heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll out a small amount of dough at a time to a 1/4 " thick log. Cut into 2" rounds.
- Place each cookie round on a nonstick cookie sheet, and place a slivered almond in the center if desired.
- Bake about 12 minutes, or until set.
- Immediately brush with glazing icing, if desired:
- boil sugar and water until the first indication of a 'thread' appears as it thickens (around 230 degrees).
- Remove from heat and stir in the powdered sugar. Bush this lightly over the cookies (when the icing gets sugary, reheat slightly, adding a little water until clear again).