Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
My mom, the Galicianer, makes a mean potato soup that every eastern European native (or wannabe) will love. Easy, hearty, nourishes the soul.
- Put potatoes in a soup pot and add water to cover, plus another few inches. Salt and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, add the carrots, optional parsnips and s, parsley, dill, garlic.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 1 hour.
- While soup is boiling, saute the onion in oil in a skillet. When the onions are golden, add flour to make a roux. Thin with a little bit of water. Bring to a boil to thicken and then add to the soup.
- Simmer a few more minutes and season to taste.
Good soup, I made it according to the recipe with all the optional ingredients. I used also one vegetable bouillon cube. This soup fits Finnish tastes and common ingredients well.