24 hrs 30 mins
Missy Wombat's Note:
This recipe comes from Mr Falafel on the newsgroup alt.food.vegan and it is a great vegan version of the traditional fish and chips. Tastes pretty good and it is as close as you will get to the experience if you are vegetarian.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1A couple of hours before you eat (preferably the day before) drain your tofu.
- 2Then place the block of soya matter between a couple of sheets of paper towels.
- 3Now place a good size book on top of that.
- 4What you are doing here is getting the excess moisture out of it so it can soak up the malt vinegar.
- 5Let it squeeze for an hour or so, then place the tofu into a bowl of malt vinegar and place it in the fridge.
- 6You don't really need to cover the tofu with it, but the more the better.
- 7Let it marinade for as long as you can, preferably overnight.
- 8To make the beer better simply mix the equal amounts of flour and beer along with the spices.
- 9Dump a whole bunch of oil into a deep pan or wok until it is about 2 inches deep and heat it up on a nice hot stove burner.
- 10Cooks up your chips and place them in a warm oven.
- 11While it is heating, take the marinated tofu out of the fridge and pat it dry.
- 12Cut it lengthwise into bars about 2 inches wide.
- 13When the oil is real hot, dunk the tofu bars into the batter and toss them in the oil one by one.
- 14Be sure they are thoroughly thoroughly with the batter!
- 15Deep fry them until the batter turns a nice golden brown, and be careful to not let them stick together.
- 16Fish them out and place them on some more paper towels.
- 17Place chips and tofu onto a plate and serve right away!
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mr Falafel's British "Fish n Chips"
Serving Size: 1 (421 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 437.4
- Calories from Fat 90
- Total Fat 10.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 33.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 25.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
salt and pepper