Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe comes from Mr Falafel on the newsgroup alt.food.vegan and it is a great vegan version of the traditional fish and chips. Tastes pretty good and it is as close as you will get to the experience if you are vegetarian.
- A couple of hours before you eat (preferably the day before) drain your tofu.
- Then place the block of soya matter between a couple of sheets of paper towels.
- Now place a good size book on top of that.
- What you are doing here is getting the excess moisture out of it so it can soak up the malt vinegar.
- Let it squeeze for an hour or so, then place the tofu into a bowl of malt vinegar and place it in the fridge.
- You don't really need to cover the tofu with it, but the more the better.
- Let it marinade for as long as you can, preferably overnight.
- To make the beer better simply mix the equal amounts of flour and beer along with the spices.
- Dump a whole bunch of oil into a deep pan or wok until it is about 2 inches deep and heat it up on a nice hot stove burner.
- Cooks up your chips and place them in a warm oven.
- While it is heating, take the marinated tofu out of the fridge and pat it dry.
- Cut it lengthwise into bars about 2 inches wide.
- When the oil is real hot, dunk the tofu bars into the batter and toss them in the oil one by one.
- Be sure they are thoroughly thoroughly with the batter!
- Deep fry them until the batter turns a nice golden brown, and be careful to not let them stick together.
- Fish them out and place them on some more paper towels.
- Place chips and tofu onto a plate and serve right away!