24 hrs 30 mins
I have not yet tried this, but it is from an overdue library book (From Our Mothers' Kitchens) and I want to return the book tomorrow, so need to get the recipes I want to try copied down, pronto. I have never made mustard-pickle, even though it's something I really enjoy; I'm looking forward to trying this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 quarts fresh pickling cucumbers, washed and chopped in 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 quart onion, peeled and chopped in 1/2 inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons coarse pickling salt
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped finely
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped finely
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 4 cups white vinegar
- 5 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1In a large glass or crockery bowl, combine chopped cucumbers and chopped onions; sprinkle with salt.
- 2Cover and let stand overnight.
- 3Drain mixture well and place in a large heavy pot with a lid; add bell peppers, celery, vinegar and sugar.
- 4Stir and cover pot with lid.
- 5Bring covered pot to a boil; reduce heat once boiling and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 6Meanwhile, stir flour, mustard powder and turmeric together with a fork, then pour in a small amount of the hot liquid and stir to prevent any lumps.
- 7Place this into the hot vegetable mixture in the pot and stir; bring up to a boil.
- 8Cook for one or two minutes, until thickened.
- 9Ladle into sterilized two-cup jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace; seal.
- 10Process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes.
- 11Let cool at room temperature before storing in the fridge, or in a cool dark place for up to one year.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mother Mayne's Mustard Pickle
Serving Size: 1 (4118 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 622.0
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1764.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 150.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 132.5 g
- Protein 3.5 g