A slightly sweet vegetable stew from North Africa. Posted for Zaar World TourIII
Make and share this Moroccan Tagine recipe from Food.com.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup carrot, sliced crosswise 1/8 inch thick
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 1 (1 lb) can chopped tomato
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 (1 lb) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (or 2 cups of cooked chick peas)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, 3 minutes.
- Add carrots, bell pepper, spices and 1/2 cup of the water.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients.
- Cover and simmer over medium-low heat, 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir several times during cooking.
- Serve over couscous, rice or any cooked grain.