An easy, velvety soup with complex delicious spice tastes, would make a wonderful start to a dinner party or a great lunch. Got this off the web ages ago and can't remember the name of the site. May need more lemon juice if the potatoes and carrots are really sweet so taste at the end, and I used more spices as I like a deeper flavour.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 600 g sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 500 g carrots, peeled and sliced
- 6 cups chicken stock or 6 cups vegetable stock
- 300 g chickpeas
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add onion and garlic and cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in spices and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- add sweet potato and carrot and sweat well for 10 minutes.
- add stock and cover, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add chick peas and simmer for further 10 mins until chick peas are tender.
- Blend until smooth, season well with salt and fresh black pepper and add lemon juice to taste.