1/2 Photos of Moroccan Chickpeas and Sweet Potatoes
This dish makes a wonderful vegetarian meal. Exotically spiced, offset with dried apricots, different and delicious.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons red wine or 2 tablespoons cooking sherry
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 cup water (or chickpea cooking liquid)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces (1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup diced dried apricot
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted in a dry skillet
- 1In a medium saucepan, combine the onion, garlic, ginger, and wine or sherry.
- 2Cover and sweat over low heat for 5 minutes.
- 3Add the cumin, cinnamon, paprika, and red pepper flakes and cook, uncovered, 1 minute longer.
- 4Add the water or chickpea cooking liquid, salt, sweet potatoes, and apricots.
- 5Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer until the sweet potatoes are just tender, about 15 minutes.
- 6Add the chickpeas, raisins, and lemon juice.
- 7Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, until the chickpeas are hot.
- 8Add the sliced almonds.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan Chickpeas and Sweet Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (325 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 311.3
- Calories from Fat 41
- Total Fat 4.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 692.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.2 g
- Sugars 14.6 g
- Protein 9.5 g