This dish makes a wonderful vegetarian meal. Exotically spiced, offset with dried apricots, different and delicious.
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons red wine or 2 tablespoons cooking sherry
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 cup water (or chickpea cooking liquid)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces (1 1/2 pounds)
- 1⁄4 cup diced dried apricot
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds, toasted in a dry skillet
- In a medium saucepan, combine the onion, garlic, ginger, and wine or sherry.
- Cover and sweat over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the cumin, cinnamon, paprika, and red pepper flakes and cook, uncovered, 1 minute longer.
- Add the water or chickpea cooking liquid, salt, sweet potatoes, and apricots.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer until the sweet potatoes are just tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas, raisins, and lemon juice.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, until the chickpeas are hot.
- Add the sliced almonds.