This is one of my favorite Moosewood recipes, and it is so easy! My toddler even loves this recipe. This cold salad is perfect during the hot summer months, and goes great with meals that are cooked on the grill. I find that adding 1 T red wine vinegar makes it absolutely perfect. Moosewood categorizes this recipe as a "Main dish salad" but I prefer it as a side dish. I always omit the celery because it is the one vegetable that I do not like.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans or 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, minced
- 6 celery ribs, with leaves sliced (optional)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint or 1 tablespoon fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 tomatoes, cubed or 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Serve at room temperature.
I used a few alternate ingredients in this recipe, but it turned out crisp and perfect nonetheless. I halved the recipe, used minced garlic in olive oil, omitted the celery, used fresh basil, and substituted apple cider vinegar. This is a great side item for grilling chicken or seafood. It is also very light.
Wonderful and healthy salad! I cut the recipe in half and added one cup frozen corn. It is delicious, even my 2 year old daughter ate some.
Enjoyed this for an easy and healthy packed lunch. Simple to make. Made a half recipe. Used the red wine vinegar and recommend it. Recipe calls for a lot of celery, which adds a nice crunch, but I would probably reduce it by half next time. Thanks for sharing the recipe!