Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is from "Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home" Cookbook. An incredible vegetarian chili. Very quick to make. I add no salt to this recipe and you would never miss it. It is a personal favorite that even my carnivore friends love. This makes a big pot and freezes extremely well.
- 1⁄2 cup bulgur
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 3 cups canned tomatoes, undrained (28 oz can)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce or 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce or 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 2 cups corn
- 1 1⁄2 cups black beans, drained cooked (14 oz can)
- 1 1⁄2 cups red kidney beans, drained cooked (14 oz can)
- cheddar cheese (optional) or monterey jack cheese (optional)
- cilantro (optional)
- Place the bulghur, hot water, and about a cup of the juice from the canned tomatoes in a small saucepan.
- Cover and bring to a boil on high heat, then lower the heat and simmer gently.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Saute the onions, garlic, cumin, chili powder, and Tabasco or cayenne.
- When the onions are soft, stir in the bell peppers and saute for 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Chop the tomatoes right in the can and add them to the pan (I used canned diced tomatoes instead).
- Stir the corn and beans, and heat thoroughly on low heat.
- Taste the bulghur. When it is cooked but still chewy, add it to the pan with its liquid.
- Cover and simmer for a few minutes for the flavors to meld.
- Add salt to taste.
- Serve plain or topped with grated cheese and fresh cilantro.