This is from "Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home" Cookbook. An incredible vegetarian chili. Very quick to make. I add no salt to this recipe and you would never miss it. It is a personal favorite that even my carnivore friends love. This makes a big pot and freezes extremely well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 3 cups canned tomatoes, undrained (28 oz can)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce or 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce or 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 2 cups corn
- 1 1/2 cups black beans, drained cooked (14 oz can)
- 1 1/2 cups red kidney beans, drained cooked (14 oz can)
- cheddar cheese (optional) or monterey jack cheese (optional)
- cilantro (optional)
- 1Place the bulghur, hot water, and about a cup of the juice from the canned tomatoes in a small saucepan.
- 2Cover and bring to a boil on high heat, then lower the heat and simmer gently.
- 3Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan.
- 4Saute the onions, garlic, cumin, chili powder, and Tabasco or cayenne.
- 5When the onions are soft, stir in the bell peppers and saute for 2 to 3 minutes more.
- 6Chop the tomatoes right in the can and add them to the pan (I used canned diced tomatoes instead).
- 7Stir the corn and beans, and heat thoroughly on low heat.
- 8Taste the bulghur. When it is cooked but still chewy, add it to the pan with its liquid.
- 9Cover and simmer for a few minutes for the flavors to meld.
- 10Add salt to taste.
- 11Serve plain or topped with grated cheese and fresh cilantro.
Browse Our Top Corn Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Corn Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moosewood Red, Gold, Black, and Green Chili
Serving Size: 1 (419 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 325.6
- Calories from Fat 77
- Total Fat 8.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 203.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.8 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 13.1 g