Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I created this soup one night when I was craving something warm, healthy and comforting, but a little different. This is a simple, hearty soup flavored with cumin and saffron; the broth is made rich and nutritious by using the potato cooking water. It's excellent served with a little yogurt or sour cream on the side, or with some cheesy garlic bread.
- Boil potatoes in 5 cups of liberally salted water until just tender, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, saute onion and garlic in a little olive oil until browned a bit.
- Set aside.
- Return to the potatoes: while still boiling, add tomato sauce, lentils, cumin, black pepper, and saffron.
- Add browned onions and garlic; lower heat and simmer covered for 30 minutes or until lentils are tender but not mushy.
- Stir in kidney beans, heat through, correct seasoning, and serve.