This is my version of stuffed peppers, based on the recipe I grew up with, just no animal products! Wonderful for a cold winter day (or a warm summer day, if you are a stuffed-pepper-lover like me)!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cook rice. Make it flavorful by adding some veggie bouillon powder, vegan butter, and/or salt in the cooking water.
- 2Cut tops off peppers and deseed. Steam them (including tops) for 15 minutes in rice cooker as you cook the rice, if you have this option. Otherwise, boil them for 5 minutes and then remove promptly (dump water out of them) and put in a deep Pyrex or Corningware dish; a bowl or something with high sides. They should not be fully cooked but if they are, don't worry.
- 3Saute onion in oil of choice in a large pan. Add the fresh herbs* after a minute. When onions are translucent, add veggie crumbles, corn and 1 can of tomato sauce.
- 4When all is cooked through, reduce or turn off heat until you can add the rice to this mix. Salt & pepper to taste. Add a pinch of some onion powder too. Just season the mix til you like the flavor.
- 5Spoon stuffing into the peppers in the Pyrex dish. (If you end up with extra stuffing, combine it with sauce in step 6.).
- 6Pour the remaining can of tomato sauce into the bottom of the Pyrex dish, so the peppers are swimming in it.
- 7Bake at 400°F for 30 - 40 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling or tops of peppers are getting a little rim of black.
- 8Serve over mashed potatoes; trust me.
- 9* Herbs are flexible: I had fresh basil I had to use plus rosemary from the garden, but you can use dry ones to taste, in any combo you might like: I usually go Italian-style. Oregano works fine too.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mom's Soul-Soothing Stuffed Peppers, Vegan-Style
Serving Size: 1 (501 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 434.8
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1594.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.6 g
- Sugars 15.5 g
- Protein 20.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: