Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my version of stuffed peppers, based on the recipe I grew up with, just no animal products! Wonderful for a cold winter day (or a warm summer day, if you are a stuffed-pepper-lover like me)!
- 4 green peppers (or any color)
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 onion
- 1 cup veggie crumbles
- 1⁄2 cup corn
- 2 (16 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 pinch onion powder
- salt & pepper
- mashed potatoes (make about 4 servings)
- Cook rice. Make it flavorful by adding some veggie bouillon powder, vegan butter, and/or salt in the cooking water.
- Cut tops off peppers and deseed. Steam them (including tops) for 15 minutes in rice cooker as you cook the rice, if you have this option. Otherwise, boil them for 5 minutes and then remove promptly (dump water out of them) and put in a deep Pyrex or Corningware dish; a bowl or something with high sides. They should not be fully cooked but if they are, don't worry.
- Saute onion in oil of choice in a large pan. Add the fresh herbs* after a minute. When onions are translucent, add veggie crumbles, corn and 1 can of tomato sauce.
- When all is cooked through, reduce or turn off heat until you can add the rice to this mix. Salt & pepper to taste. Add a pinch of some onion powder too. Just season the mix til you like the flavor.
- Spoon stuffing into the peppers in the Pyrex dish. (If you end up with extra stuffing, combine it with sauce in step 6.).
- Pour the remaining can of tomato sauce into the bottom of the Pyrex dish, so the peppers are swimming in it.
- Bake at 400°F for 30 - 40 minutes, until the sauce is bubbling or tops of peppers are getting a little rim of black.
- Serve over mashed potatoes; trust me.
- * Herbs are flexible: I had fresh basil I had to use plus rosemary from the garden, but you can use dry ones to taste, in any combo you might like: I usually go Italian-style. Oregano works fine too.
Followed the recipe as is. Very filling had the rest fo rlunch. Next I will change the herbs around and add garlic.