Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This wonderfully moist and fruity cake contains no refined sugar or fat. It’s also free of eggs and dairy products, which means it’s suitable for vegans, or anyone trying to cut down a little. Once tested, all who have tried it want the recipe.
- 250 g stoned dates, roughly chopped
- 300 ml water
- 85 g plain flour
- 85 g whole wheat flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mixed spice
- 500 g mixed dried fruit, chopped (figs, sultanas, apricots etc. chopped, I tend to use the three listed above with some red berries)
- 50 g ground almonds
- 80 ml orange juice
- Pre-heat oven to 170oC/Gas Mark 3 and line 2 loaf tins with baking parchment (this will make two flattish cakes, for a full-sized cake use just one tin).
- Put the dates and water in a pan and bring to the boil. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- Sieve the plain flour, baking powder and mixed spice into a bowl. Add the wholemeal flour, mixed fruit and ground almonds. Stir to combine. Stir in the wet date mixture and the orange juice. Mix well.
- Spoon into the tin(s). Bake for 50 minutes (170C / gas mark 3) or until a skewer comes out clean. Turn out onto a wire rack and cool.
- Serve in slices with a nice cup of tea.