Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is an adopted recipe. It is taken from RecipeSource and Pennsylvania Dutch Cook Book - Fine Old Recipes, Culinary Arts Press, 1936.
- Wash and dry apples.
- Remove stems and replace with stick stuck halfway into apple.
- Comvbine corn syrup, sugar, and water in deep saucepan.
- Stir and cook over medium heat until thoroughly disolved and mixture boils.
- Then cook, without stirring. to soft crack stage (a small amt of the mixture separates into threads which are hard but not brittle when dropped in cold water; or candy thermometer registers 280 deg F.) Remove from heat; add extract and stir only enough to mix.
- Place pan over boiling water to keep syrup from thickening.
- Then, dip apples and wind in a circular motion until thoroughly covered with syrup.
- Place on buttered pan with sticks upright and cool.