1/7 Photos of Mixed Beans With Bacon and Almonds
Kumquat the Cat's friend's Note:
Posted for Zaar World Tour 2005. Although green beans have often been paired with either bacon or almonds, I've never seen a recipe for them both until I found one in a cookbook called The New Irish Table. They enhance one another quite nicely in this recipe, and it's very easy and quick to make. Imitation bacon has the smokey flavor of regular bacon, but fewer calories. I've included instructions (such as they are) for both. Butter beans and lima beans are from the same family. If you can't find frozen butter beans (favas), canned are fine but don't cook as long. They don't suggest browning the almonds, but you could do so in a 350F oven for 5 minutes or until visibly browned.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slices imitation bacon (Morningstar Farms or similar) or 4 slices bacon
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen sugar snap peas
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen green beans
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen butter beans
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen lima beans
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1If using imitation bacon, use one of the methods included on the package to obtain the desired consistency (soft or crisp).
- 2If using regular bacon, cook in a small skillet over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spatula, transfer to paper towels to drain.
- 3Add the sugar snap peas and green beans to a large saucepan of salted boiling water and cook for 3-4 minutes. Drain, rinse in cold water, and drain again. Set aside.
- 4Cook the butter beans and lima beans in boiling salted water for about 8 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- 5Combine peas and beans in serving bowl, crumble bacon on top, and sprinkle with the almonds. Season with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mixed Beans With Bacon and Almonds
Serving Size: 1 (204 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 194.5
- Calories from Fat 54
- Total Fat 6.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 206.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.1 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 9.6 g