This is my foolproof way of getting perfect "every grain separate" rice, every time!
Make and share this Mirj's Foolproof Microwave Rice - Perfect Every Time! recipe from Food.com.
- Put rice in a micro-safe bowl.
- Add water.
- Swirl for 2 seconds.
- Add salt.
- Swirl again.
- Cover with vented plastic wrap or a loose plastic cover.
- Nuke on high for 12 minutes.
- Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Dump rice into a strainer and rinse under cold water.
- Place in micro-safe serving dish (or back in the rinsed out bowl), add seasonings to taste (onion soup mix, salt and pepper, hot chilles, whatever you like in your rice) and heat on medium for 5 minutes until it reaches desired serving temperature.
- If the rice is going to be part of a salad, you can use it straight away.
- This makes perfect,"every grain separate" rice, every time!
Well for the second time around, don't know what happened to the first review, but I do know , this recipe does exactly as it says it does!! It is perfect rice, every time. I have used it 3 or 4 times already, it is beautiful, each piece separate rice. Added veggies the first time and came out with a lovely rice pilaf, and made it into a very nice salad and used it to stuff tomatoes. Just an all round useful, quick recipe to have around. Thanks for sharing Mirj, am using it often!!
I halfed the rice recipe. I added 1/2 cup of chopped up vegetables (green onion, green and red pepper and a bit of celery and two mushrooms) which I cooked in 1/2 tbsp. butter in the microwave for 2 1/2 minutes. I omitted the onion soup which may have been a mistake. We felt the rice was just a bit tough but I will certainly make it again and perhaps add just a wee more liquid the next time. For this reason I just gave it 4 stars but I think with a little help it would definitely end up being 5 stars. The one thing I liked was that the rice was not sticky.
you may find that covering the bowl with a dampened tea towel allows it to vent a little better . i usualy go 5 min. on high and then 12 min. on medium heat.I never make rice on the stove anymore!