1/5 Photos of Minestrone
1 hr 15 mins
Dreamer in Ontario's Note:
This is an excellent minestrone. I got the original recipe from the Moosewood Cookbook. The original recipe called for tomato sauce. I only had spaghetti sauce on hand and I think the end result is very good. The original recipe also called for zucchini and/or eggplant which my family doesn't care for so green beans were substituted. I reduced the amount of olive oil to make it lower in fat.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 5 garlic cloves, minced (use fresh garlic only)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 cup green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- fresh black pepper
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 medium bell pepper, diced
- 4 cups water (more if needed)
- 1 (650 ml) jar good spaghetti sauce (meat free)
- 1 cup chickpeas, cooked
- 1 cup dry pasta (any shape)
- 1/2 cup parsley, minced
- parmesan cheese (use soy cheese if vegan)
- 1Heat the olive oil in nonstick Dutch oven.
- 2Add onion, garlic and salt.
- 3Saute over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- 4Add celery, carrot, green beans and seasonings.
- 5Cover and cook overy very low heat 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 6Add bell pepper, water and spaghetti sauce.
- 7Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- 8Add beans and simmer another 5 minutes.
- 9Bring to a gentle boil.
- 10Add pasta.
- 11Stir and cook until pasta is done.
- 12Serve topped with parsley and parmesan.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Minestrone
Serving Size: 1 (292 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 210.0
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 1.1 mg
- Sodium 962.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 9.4 g
- Protein 6.5 g