Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is the recipe for Sushi rice that I have learned from my father, the Sushi chef at Minado sushi. It's not really a secret recipe, many restaurants prepare rice this way, but it produces really great rice. More of a technique than anything. This is a response to a request in the forum and I hope you guys like it!
- Ignore the directions on the bag that the rice came from and rinse the rice only 3-5 times. The water does NOT have to run clear.
- Place rice to drain in a strainer.
- Drain for one hourin the winter, 30 min in the summer. (Sounds strange, but is true).
- While rice is draining, combine vinegar,sugar, salt and mirin together in a bowl and mix well.
- If using a kelp leaf,it should be about 2 in long
- Wipe it lightly, cut small slits to make it look like a comb and add it to a pot along with the water.
- Add rice to the pot.
- Bring quickly to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Cover the pot and DON'T touch it until the end, NO PEEKING.
- Cook for 15 minutes before removing the pot from the heat but keep the lid CLOSED.
- Let rice rest for 10 min and then remove the cover.
- Place in a glass dish to cool and lightly fan the rice while adding the vinegar mixture.
- Mix rice gently, careful not to break it.
- Sushi rice is best used at body temperature.
Without doubt the best, most detailed Sushi Rice technique I've ever heard of. Perfect results every time and the flavour is something else entirely!
Outstanding effort. Thanks so much for sharing!
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK.
Made sushi for the first time,thank you for giving such detailed directions.I followed the recipe exactly and the rice was wonderful!
I always make bad rice, so I was stressed about making sushi rice, but with this recipe I made "perfect sushi rice!" Thank you BirdyBaker sharing your father's recipe.