This is the recipe for Sushi rice that I have learned from my father, the Sushi chef at Minado sushi. It's not really a secret recipe, many restaurants prepare rice this way, but it produces really great rice. More of a technique than anything. This is a response to a request in the forum and I hope you guys like it!
- Ignore the directions on the bag that the rice came from and rinse the rice only 3-5 times. The water does NOT have to run clear.
- Place rice to drain in a strainer.
- Drain for one hourin the winter, 30 min in the summer. (Sounds strange, but is true).
- While rice is draining, combine vinegar,sugar, salt and mirin together in a bowl and mix well.
- If using a kelp leaf,it should be about 2 in long
- Wipe it lightly, cut small slits to make it look like a comb and add it to a pot along with the water.
- Add rice to the pot.
- Bring quickly to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.
- Cover the pot and DON'T touch it until the end, NO PEEKING.
- Cook for 15 minutes before removing the pot from the heat but keep the lid CLOSED.
- Let rice rest for 10 min and then remove the cover.
- Place in a glass dish to cool and lightly fan the rice while adding the vinegar mixture.
- Mix rice gently, careful not to break it.
- Sushi rice is best used at body temperature.