Prep 1 hr
Cook 48 hrs
The amounts are approximate. Be prepared to add more of everything. They is actually very little preparation to do - it's mostly waiting so don't be put off by the times. The hardest part of the preparation is sterilising the jars.
- Pick a ripe but firm eggplant from the garden.
- Wash, peel and then cut into big chunks.
- Squeeze liberal amounts of lemon over the top then coarsely grate with a cheese grater. Cover immediately with rock salt.
- Add more lemon juice which helps stop the eggplant turning brown and put it in the fridge.
- After 24 hours, remove the eggplant from the rock salt. Do not wash the salt off - just shake off the excess.
- Cover with red wine vinegar and leave for 24 hours in the fridge.
- Strain and leave the eggplant in a colander for a couple of hours to get rid of the moisture.
- Toss with fresh oregano, raw garlic and olive oil.
- Keep aside for a half day and then put into sterilised jars. Needs to have sufficient olive oil to cover all of the eggplant.
- This lasts for months.
- Add parsley just before serving.
- Use straight as part of an antipasto platter or make an eggplant sauce by frying in butter as an accompaniment to meat.