Beans replace the traditional bulgur in this recipe. Originally black soybeans were used, but you could use any bean you wish!
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained (or use chickpeas, white beans, etc.)
- 2 large plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped (or green)
- 1 cup Italian parsley, chopped (packed)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup mint leaf, cut in thin strips (packed)
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Combine beans, tomatoes, green pepper and parsley in mixing bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk lemon juice with salt and cayenne. Mix in oil. Pour over bean mixture; toss well. Mix in mint and cilantro, if using. Let it sit 20 minutes so flavors meld together. This will keep in the fridge 24 hours, tightly covered. Enjoy!