1/1 Photo of Michael's Slightly Salty Pickled Onions
Jenny Sanders's Note:
This recipe came from my friend Michael. He got the recipe from his grandmother, and made a few changes to it. (Like figuring out her very cryptic instructions.) These are a different pickled onion than the usual, having no extra spices and having a distinct salty quality. Of course, they don't have nearly as much salt in them as called for by the recipe, but they are definitely not a low-salt pickle. The quantity of brine to onions will depend on the size of your onions; and you will need to make several batches of the brine. (I've listed each batch.) He did not use pearl onions, just regular cooking onions, but small ones.
My Private Note
500ml j ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel the onions.
- 2Place them in a large crock.
- 3Bring 1 cup of salt and 2 quarts of water to a boil, and pour over the onions.
- 4Let stand for 2 days in a cool spot, then drain them.
- 5Make more brine, and pour it while hot over the onions.
- 6Let stand for 2 more days, then drain them.
- 7Put your jars in a canner, and cover with water.
- 8Bring to a boil and boil 10 minutes.
- 9Make more brine and this time add the onions, and boil them for 3 minutes.
- 10Fill the hot sterilized jars with the drained onions.
- 11Mix the vinegar, water and sugar.
- 12Heat to boiling and pour over the onions.
- 13Seal at once, according to manufacturer's instructions (generally, boil lids for 5 minutes) and process in boiling water for 10-15 minutes.
- 14Jars should be kept in a cool, dry, dark place until opened. Leave them at least a couple weeks. Once opened, store each jar in the fridge.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Michael's Slightly Salty Pickled Onions
Serving Size: 1 (165 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 64
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 27.3
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 5308.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 0.2 g