1/2 Photos of Mexican Tomato Rice and Beans
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup uncooked medium grain white rice
- 2 cups cold water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes (Petite-cut)
- water (as needed)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, cored and finely chopped (leaving in the seeds depends on how hot you like it)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt (or to taste, I used about 1/2 of this) or 2 teaspoons sea salt (or to taste, I used about 1/2 of this)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1In a one quart saucepan, combine rice with water.
- 2Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, cover, reduce heat to low, and cook for 20 minutes.
- 3Remove from heat and let the pan stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- 4While the rice stands, drain the tomatoes, reserving the juice.
- 5Add enough water to the juice to equal one cup of liquid.
- 6Heat a 10-12 inch skillet over medium-high heat; add in oil, garlic, and jalapeno.
- 7Cook until the garlic is browned and the jalapeno is fragrant (one minute).
- 8Add the black beans, salt, cumin, and chili powder; stir gently a few times to cook the spices and get beans mixed into the rice (30 seconds).
- 9Stir in the tomato juice mixture and bring to a boil.
- 10Adjust the heat as necessary to maintain a gentle boil; cook and occasionally stir until the beans have absorbed much of the liquid (5-7 minutes).
- 11Add the tomatoes, oregano, cilantro, and cooked rice.
- 12Cook, stirring occasionally, until the rice is warmed (1-2 minutes).
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Tomato Rice and Beans
Serving Size: 1 (243 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 244.7
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.7 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 599.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 7.7 g