1/2 Photos of Mexican Lasagna Casserole (Vegan)
1 hr 15 mins
A.B. Hall's Note:
This dish makes for a delicious and filling meal. It's a hit with vegans and meat eaters alike and goes great with a side of corn chips!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large bell pepper, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups salsa
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped finely (more or less to taste)
- 1 bunch fresh chives, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 4 1/2 ounces black olives, sliced
- 10 corn tortillas
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can corn, drained
- 3 (16 ounce) cans refried beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained (can use ranchero or other bean if desired)
- 1 (15 ounce) can enchilada sauce (optional)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper (finely chopped) (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2In a non-stick pan with a little water (1 tbsp.), sauté the pepper, garlic, and onion for about 5-10 minutes, or until softened (not too long, the onions are SO good crunchy).
- 3Place mix in a medium bowl and add diced tomatoes, cilantro (alternately, the cilantro can be sprinkled in as two layers, if easier) and chives. Mix well and set aside.
- 4Spray a 9 X 13-inch baking pan with non-stick spray. Line the bottom with a layer of tortillas (cut some of them to fit, if desired). Cover most of the bottom of the pan. For reference: I use four tortillas on the bottom, three for the next layer and three for the final layer.
- 5Place 1 ½ cans of the refried beans in a small bowl, stir, and spread evenly over the tortillas.
- 6Cover the refried beans with half of the pepper-onion-tomato mixture.
- 7Sprinkle entire dish lightly with 1/2 tsp cumin.
- 8Cover with half the can of corn.
- 9Cover with half the can of beans.
- 10Cover with 1/2 THE SALSA, add another layer of tortillas and REPEAT above layers (steps 5-9).
- 11Cover with a final layer of tortillas.
- 12Sprinkle with black olives.
- 13Top with the remaining 1 cup salsa.
- 14Bake for about 30 minutes or until hot throughout. If allowed to cool for about 10 minutes, it will be easier to cut.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Lasagna Casserole (Vegan)
Serving Size: 1 (602 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 356.2
- Calories from Fat 53
- Total Fat 5.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 9.0 mg
- Sodium 717.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 19.9 g
- Sugars 9.2 g
- Protein 21.8 g