If Popeye lived in Mexico, this is what he would eat.
Make and share this Mexican Green Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 poblano peppers, roasted, seeded, peeled &, chopped
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded &, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup white rice
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook& stir onion, garlic& chilis for 5-7 minutes.
- Add water, parsley, cumin, salt& pepper; bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Stir in rice, cover, and cook at medium-low for 10-12 minutes.
- Stir in spinach and cilantro; cook on low until rice is tender (4-5 minutes.) Remove from heat, fluff rice, and let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.
I'm not going to rate this since I made a few changes and hate it when people make changes and then rate it low! :O) I used a red onion and red peppers instead of the poblano. I also used brown jasmine rice and threw in some vegetarian chicken nuggets. While I thought it was pretty good, my husband wasn't crazy about it. Thanks so much for sharing!
What a way to get my husband to eat his spinach, he didn't even question the green stuff. Thanks for sharing.
Good way to sneak spinach past the kidos lips! I used chicken broth and green onion but that was the only change i made. This would be more tradional and better if the rice were fried in the oil til browned, add rest of the dry inged for a few minutes, then the liquid, cover tightly, lower heat and simmer for 15 min. I would have given more stars but the directions are confusing. Add rice x2 and the cooking time is over 30 min??? My rice was done before I got to the 'add spinach' step.... Thanks for sharing your recipe.