This recipe was originally posted by Zenith. This member is no longer an active participant at Zaar, but I was a huge fan of her recipes, so when they went up for adoption I grabbed as many as I could. Here are her original comments: "A tasty vegetarian burger. Fairly mild -- increase spices to your taste. Adapted from 'The Vegetarian Gourmet's Easy Low-Fat Favorites.'"
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups cooked black beans (or canned)
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, preferably warm
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons chili powder, more, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin, more, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.
- 2Mash with a potato masher until mashed well and thoroughly combined.
- 3Divide mixture into 8 balls.
- 4Form each ball into a thick patty.
- 5(This is easier if you wet your hands first.) Fry burgers in a skillet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray (or lightly greased).
- 6Cook until browned on both sides, turning several times.
- 7Serve on buns with toppings of your choice.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Bean Burgers
Serving Size: 1 (105 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 122.3
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 70.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 5.2 g