Prep 50 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I got this recipe from my mother-in-law, who got it from a colleague. She knows how much I like light bean and corn salads, so she made it with me in mind, for a bridal shower we were throwing. She thought I would love it, and I did! :) I've got a couple other bean & corn salad recipes I enjoy, but this one is a bit different because of the rice and salsa. Good for you and tastes good, too. Prep time is mostly due to the time it takes to cook the rice.
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 3⁄4 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup fresh grape tomatoes, halved
- 3 tablespoons onions, chopped
- 1 cup cooked brown rice, cooled
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup mild salsa
- Combine the salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix the dressing ingredients in a small bowl or measuring cup.
- Pour the dressing over the salad, and mix gently.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator overnight or at least two hours.
I brought this to work for a mexican pot luck and it got raves. I did, however, make some changes according to my taste. I added 2 chopped jalapenos, chopped cilantro, a small can of sliced black olives, used the juice of 1 lime instead of the lemon, and added some Adobo seasoning and extra cumin. I used red onion and 1 smallish orange pepper to make it very colorful. I will definitely make this again, so thanks for the recipe.
I hate reading reviews or adding reviews where people make so many changes as it is no longer the original recipe however :) I did omit the salsa (did not have any) used lime juice from the jar (yuck but that is what I had on hand) everything the same. Used fresh corn on the cob and a diced fresh tomatoe from garden...this is a keeper!
Yum yum yum! I made my own salsa from a recipe also on this site, omitted the pepper, as I had none on hand, and used mixed beans. I'm a vegetarian and ate it as a main and it's fresh, delicious, healthy, and satisfying. Thanks!