Prep 2 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is my healthy recipe for marinara sauce. I use it is a dipping sauce and i also use it for pasta dishes. I LOVE IT! You could add fresh oregano, too, if you wanted, as well as some fresh black pepper. (WW: I think this is about 1 point/cup. The only thing that has points in this recipe is the stewed tomatoes, and those are 1 pt/ cup.)
- Saute garlic in nonstick cooking spray over low to medium heat.
- Once garlic is tender, add mushrooms and tomatoes.
- Mash tomatoes as the mixture becomes more sauce-like, about 10 minutes.
- Add basil close to the end of cooking time.
- You'll know when it's done!
- This is fantastic with whole-wheat pita triangles toasted in the oven with nonstick cooking spray!
Thanks for posting :) I have made this a lot in the past since it does not need oil. I prefer the taste of fresh mushrooms though and usually use 1-2 cloves of garlic depending on the size. Depending on my mood and contents of the fridge I also add other veggies like zucchini (sliced using cheese slicer), peas, carrots, sweetcorn...
Easy tasty recipe - I did a couple of things differently. I used fresh mushrooms and sauteed them with the meatballs that I was making the sauce for. I put the sauce in the blender and pureed it then poured it over the meatballs & mushrooms -reheatedit and served over fine egg noodles with veggies on the side. Very tasty dinner thank-you RedMeatGirl